Saturday, July 6, 2013

"Are You Excited?"

So, I just feel like writing a blog post, but I didn't know what I wanted to write about...then I realized this is the perfect opportunity to clarify something that a lot of people seem to be unsure of.
YES. I AM EXCITED.
You see, every time-
EVERY TIME.
I talk to someone about my upcoming year as an exchange student, they ask the same question.
"Are you excited?"
Huh. A thought-provoking question. At first, I was just like "Yeah! Very!" and didn't even think about the silliness of that particular inquiry, but after the first 30-40 times answering it, I starting really thinking about it and wondering what else these questioners could possibly think I would answer with...
Hmm. I've wanted to be an exchange student since sixth grade. I've wanted this specific scholarship since seventh grade. I worked extremely hard to get it. I saved all my money ever for this year. I'm going to Germany. For a year. I will have new friends, family, FOOD, home, experiences, etc. I will learn a new language. This is, by definition, the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me.
Nah, not excited.

No offense, to anyone who has asked me this question, I'm sure you were just fulfilling societal conversational expectations. But next time, don't be afraid to get creative.

And, going along with the theme of excitement, my 'Excited Song' (what I listen to when I'm excited).
Today's song: "I Love It" by Icona Pop (feat. Charlie XCX)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_FrF4b4Rf4

Bye!
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment